Establishing Orders for Child and Medical Support
Parents have a responsibility to support their children financially. Getting child support is important to your child’s well-being.
A child support order sets the amount and type of support parents are required to provide for their children.
We can help you get a child support order if you are signed up for our services.
Benefits that may be included in a child support order:
- Amount of child support that must be paid
- Medical insurance plan
Medical Insurance plan requires a parent to provide health insurance for the child if the cost is reasonable and if it can be used where the child lives. It may also require parents to share the health insurance cost.
- Additional medical costs not covered by insurance
A parent may be required to pay all or some of the cost for special medical expenses such as orthopedic devices or speech therapy if these expenses are not included in the medical insurance plan.
- Paternity if the mother was not married when the child was born
We can get a child support order even if a parent does not live in Florida.
Our services are to help you get a child support order and do not include:
- Help with a divorce
- Help with child custody
- Help getting spousal support or alimony
In Florida, we have two ways to get support orders:
- Administrative – parents work with us to determine the amount and type of support for the support order. A court hearing is not needed.
- Judicial – parents come to a court hearing where a judge or hearing officer reviews the financial information and decides the amount and type of support for the support order.
Child support payment amount
In Florida, the amount of child support a parent is responsible to pay depends on the income and assets of both parents. We use the guidelines set in Florida law to decide the child support amount.
We ask parents to give us information about their finances such as paychecks and income tax returns so we can apply the guidelines to come to the child support payment amount.